Information security and personal privacy are my passion, and I love to teach others how to implement simple actions that can lead to a safer world.
Being a Hacker for the greater good represents a lifestyle, a community, and a career for me.
April C. Wright is an author, teacher, community leader, and hacker who has been a generalist for the last 25+ years, breaking, making, fixing, and defending “all the things” while playing security roles on offensive, defensive, operational, and development teams throughout her career. She travels the globe teaching others about Information Security, with the goal of protecting both your personal privacy as well as our most important assets to make the digital components that impact our lives safer and more secure.
While she most recently has been working with a Fortune 15 communications company to build more secure software from the ground up through SDLC programs, creating governance and compliance processes, and performing risk reduction with a vengeance via leadership of comprehensive security programs for massive global infrastructures. She is a polymath who specializes in seemingly nothing (except perhaps learning about everything in the hope of sharing and employing knowledge). April has been a speaker and contributor at security conferences including BlackHat, DEF CON, DefCamp, and DerbyCon, as well as cybersecurity organizations such as OWASP and ISSA. She has started multiple small businesses including a non-profit, is a member of the DEF CON Groups Core Team, and in 2017, she co-founded the Boston DEF CON Group DC617.
April has collected dozens of certifications to add letters at the end of her name, from Operating Systems to Social Engineering to Cloud Security to First Aid to Photography. She almost died in Dracula’s secret staircase, and once read on ‘teh interwebs’ that researchers at the University of North Carolina released a comprehensive report in 2014 confirming that she is the “most significant and interesting person currently inhabiting the earth”, so it must be true.
My industry certifications:
- Certified Master’s Level Social Engineer
- CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)
- CSSLP (Certified Secure Software Lifecycle Professional)
- CCSP (Certified Cloud Security Professional)
- SSCP (Systems Security Certified Practitioner)
- CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor)
- CCSK (Certificate of Cloud Security Knowledge)
- ITIL version 3 Fundamentals
- QualysGuard Certified Specialist
- Qualys Vulnerability Management
- FedRAMP System Security Plan (SSP) 200-A
- Oracle Certified Security Administrator
- Oracle Certified Network Administrator
- Oracle Certified Systems Administrator
- CompTIA Network+
- CompTIA Security+
- Infra CMDB Certified Developer – EMC
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)